Open call for curatorial concepts for the Pavilion of Finland's exhibition in 2025
Archinfo invites curatorial concept submissions for the Pavilion of Finland’s exhibition at the 19th International Architecture Exhibition of La Biennale di Venezia. The next Biennale Architettura runs from 24 May to 23 November 2025.
We look forward to a wide range of proposals that:
- stem from topical issues facing the future
- are relevant to Finnish architecture while resonating with a wide international audience
- reflect the ways in which architecture can support human and/or non-human inclusivity, well-being, sustainability and diversity.
Archinfo – Information Centre for Finnish Architecture, appointed Commissioner by the Ministry of Education and Culture in Finland, seeks curators with original concepts relevant to Finnish architecture and appealing to a global audience. The curator may have a background in curating architecture, design or art or in research or writing.
The chosen curator will have a thought-provoking and original curatorial concept to be developed into a feasible exhibition in the Pavilion of Finland. We welcome applicants of all nationalities and cultural backgrounds with a good understanding of Finnish architectural phenomena and a strong connection to the Finnish architectural scene. We encourage individual curators to submit proposals but also accept proposals from curatorial teams.
The selection panel comprises:
- Pia Ilonen (FI), Architect
- Dr Sofie Pelsmakers (BE), Professor of Sustainable Housing Design, Tampere University School of Architecture
- Dr Aura Seikkula (FI), Curator, Arts Advisor
- Katarina Siltavuori (FI), Commissioner, Director of Archinfo (chair).
The application and selection process runs in two stages:
- Open call 5 December 2023 – 5 February 2024: Submission of curatorial concept proposals
- Interviews 7–8 March 2024: Shortlisted applicants present their proposals to the selection panel
The curator will be selected and appointed by the end of March 2024. Following the selection, work towards the realisation of the exhibition starts in Spring 2024 and runs until the opening of the Biennale in May 2025. In all, the project will continue until the end of the Biennale in November 2025.
The applicants can send questions concerning the practicalities of the open call by 18 December 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org. All questions and answers will be published (anonymously) by 20 December 2023 on this page.
EDIT: No questions were sent by the deadline.
Please read the guidelines carefully before submitting your application.
NOTE: On 21 December 2023, La Biennale di Venezia announced the appointment of the 2025 Biennale Architettura main exhibition curator, Carlo Ratti. The appointed curator will select the biennale's theme, which is expected to be announced by Summer 2024. Please read more on La Biennale's website.
Open call documents
The deadline for submitting curatorial proposals is 5 February 2024 by midnight (GMT+2). The documents to be submitted are: Application Form (including concept description), Concept Visuals and Curriculum Vitae (no portfolios). You can find all the open call material, including images of the Pavilion of Finland, in a folder accessed via the link below.